26 February 2014

Bridget and Margaret

In class today we learned about the literary tradition of the Vita, and how it can be accessed to learn about medieval religious women. Some Vitae are more historical then others; each ultimately comes at the person with a bent towards proclaiming the religiousness of the individual. Most want to perhaps entice and/or serve a propaganda for an eventual proposal of sainthood. Lives could be written to promote a culthood within an area or sent to Rome for approval for possible sainthood. What is interesting about Christina's is that it is unfinished, as far as historians are concerned--so it represents a part of the process of history-in-the-making. Why was Christina's life unfinished? What was the purpose of the text? How can we access a life story in the way that we did with Magdalena and Balthasar's letters?

I feel like my life (luckily) is filled with medieval female saints. In Rome I see the monastery of the Brigittines, founded by Bridget of Sweden (photos below). As a queen of Sweden, Bridget could have eight kids and still be considered a saint. But only after founding many monasteries, living with virtue, helping the poor, and dictating her Revelations. In these Revelations, the Lord says: "I have chosen you to be my spouse so that I may show you my secrets." Wow, so much for needing a clergyman to access religion.

This summer I reviewed the translation and introduction to The Life and Miracles of Saint Margaret of Cortona (1247-1297). Like Christina, her story is filled with tragedy, sorrow and triumph. Once the lover of a nobleman and a mother, she's left without support when he dies suddenly.  The son and mom are given a swift kick out (origin of the Disney evil step-mother?) by his family. In 1272, she came to Cortona and began to earn money as a midwife; then her visionary life led her to live in a cell and then a monastery. For twelve years this former lover and mother became the most famous citizen of Cortona, negotiating between arguing factions, telling off the bishop of Arezzo, and proving various citizens as liars. However, in his vita, written by a Franciscan friar, the Lord says: "Concerning that Margaret, I tell you that I love her more than all the women of Cortona" and "I will give her an abundance of grace" (289). Today you can still see Margaret of Cortona in the central church there, and on my office door, prostrate, visible, and clothed (on a postcard) resting before all to see, from 1297 to 2014. I plan to pay a visit to her again this summer. How often can you see a person from the thirteenth-century? Do to her agency, and the cult that continued to be perpetuated after her death, Margaret remains a powerful figure in the modern world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing with us about your personal experiences with female Saints. From your blog it is easy to see how their lives and things they did in the past continue to be relevant today. One of the ideas you have recently introduced in class that I find most interesting is the idea of nuns and early religious women viewing themselves as martyrs. I had never thought of it before but can definitely see how devoting your entire life and every moment to a higher cause could be considered martyrdom. Our recent discussions about nuns, hermits, and female saints has altered my views on the subject as I now see how much good many of these women did in society and how in many ways they had more freedom than an average married woman.

Unknown said...

Allison- Did the nuns and hermits have more freedom though? I feel like no matter how much "good" the nuns and hermits did for the society, they were still always judged and look down upon simply because they were not the average married woman. Most of the saints that I’ve learn about so far has been killed by an execution. Also another thing I’ve noticed is that most of their good works does not get recognition until after their death.